Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Governor's Race

The upcoming governor's race here in Alabama should be quite interesting. We have Don Seigelman and Lt. Gov Lucy Baxley (I hope I am spelling their names right!) on the Democratic side, and Gov. Bob Riley and Judge Roy Moore on the Republican side. If ol' Don doesn't get himself put in jail before the election, I think he will easily beat out Lucy B. For one, nobody knows what Baxley stands for because she never lets anyone know. Probably because she knows if she opened her mouth she would automatically lose. But ol' Don is slick -- he's kinda like "Bill Clinton light"; he is just snakey enough that I think he will get the nod from his party. And he also has that lottery thing. Which of course, is ALL he has. And once again, if he were to win, it would die again just like it did before.
Bob Riley was very popular when he first won, but since then he hasn't done a lot. He has brought some businesses into the state but beyond that what else can he say he has done? Not much as far as I can see. Except try to raise taxes after promising he would not. He refuses to do anything about illegal immigration (one of my pet peeves) and I think that has a lot of folks tee'd off. Which is probably why Judge Moore is running on that platform (as well as other things).
As for Moore -- I was worried about having such a controversial person running for governor, and his ties to religious issues seem an ill fit for politics. The last thing I would want is a state-run religious personage trying to legislate morality from his office. But I have to say (begrudgingly) that he is looking more and more like the better choice of any who are out there. I haven't thoroughly researched the man's stand on all issues but I have heard him on the radio talking about his views on various topics and he actually makes a lot of sense.
It will be interesting, no doubt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home