Friday, November 11, 2005

Just Do It

Love your neighbor as yourself ... do unto others ... man, I know we all have heard those things a million times, so much so that I don't even have to include the entire quotes -- everyone knows them, even non-Christians. But how many of us live by them? Sometimes I look around (and at myself) and think that there are more non-Christians living by the words of Christ than those who claim to be "Christ-like". As I said, I put myself in that catagory.
Well, not long ago, I decided something should be done about it. Yeah, one day ... as usual, I procrastinated. But it was always there, in the back of my mind, needling me. When would I start living by those words?
Well, the part about loving others, that was simple enough -- I really have made the effort to be kind, loving and just to all people around me, even people I may not like.
But what about helping others in need? We forget that -- helping the sick and needy. Oh, uh... yeah... *nervous shuffle of feet* One day...
Well, the time came when Katrina hit. My company took up a collection of goods and I brought a plethora of things. It was a start. I felt better.
Now I think it's time to keep the ball rolling. Thanks to a friend, Jordan Self (brother of Josh, a good friend of mine you will hear more about here), I decided to try something cool and drastic.
Jordan is a youth pastor who usually has really short hair. But Jordan grew his hair really long, and when he decided to cut it, he told me he was going to donate it to an organization known as Locks Of Love, which makes wigs from real hair for cancer patients. I thought that was cool, and that one day I would try that. I like long hair -- haven't done that in awhile.
Well, I decided that I wanted to grow my hair out a little for the winter. Not super long, but longer than usual. Then what Jordan did came back to me. Why not? I thought. So I talked it over with my boss, cause I wanted to make sure he wouldn't freak out, and he thought it was a good idea. Soo... the hair is a-growing. And in order to donate it, it has to be shoulder-length (about 10"). It's a cool way to let my hair grow again and also to make it about something more than me, ya know?
So I will try and post pics as the hair gets longer. Stay tuned as that situation develops.
And in the meantime, I will be trying to think of more ways to love folks and do more for those in need. God knows (literally!) I don't do enough.

Peace, Wil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home