Friday, December 09, 2005

It was 25 years ago today

Today is the anniversary of John Lennon's murder. Sad. His murder really led to the withdrawal of celebs from the spotlight in a way that they never had before. And that, in turn, forced the paparazzi to escalade their pursuit of them. I think that led to Princess Diana's death.
Well, I am not gonna debate the topic of celebs vs. the press, I could really care less -- they are a social food chain that feeds cyclically off of one another -- but it is sad that people have to be more guarded because of nutcases like the guy who shot John Lennon. Lennon used to walk openly around NYC and he just wanted to be an average guy, and most folks treated him that way. It may have been naive on his part to think that an ex-Beatle could ever be seen as average, and he was a little naive about a lot of things, but he did once say, "You can say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us -- and the world will live as one."

It's a nice dream. I wish it could come true. Maybe I am cynical, but I don't see it happening. Too many people care about nothing but themselves. Anyway, when John died, a piece of every single person who loves music died. "The dream is over."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home