Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Poem That Inspired A Blog

(Disclaimer: Don't even think about stealing any of the poetry you find on this site. For one, stealing is really rotten and you will go to hell; number two, I only post copyrighted material, so if you steal it I can sue yer butt!)


People often ask me, "Why Magnet Works?" Actually, very few people have ever asked me that. A small number. Almost one. Anyway...
About 10 years ago, when me and Josh had a little garage band and we were delusional enough to think we could write our own songs, I took it upon myself to concoct some lyrics. I had been writing poetry anyway. Really bad poetry. And I thought, "Well, most rock songs are nothing more than bad poetry anyway." So I submitted some stuff for their approval. Here is one that made the grade. It's called Magnet Works No. 1 (and there were never any Nos. 2 or 3...). Don't ask me why -- I have a hard time with titles and I needed something and this one just came to me out of the blue abyss. I like it...

MAGNET WORKS No. 1 (1996) copyrighted 2003 William F Brownell III
She lures the welcome mat like it
Was a lamp-post
I guess you could say the same thing
About her smiles
Multitudes drown most any others
But I say that she's
The sore thumb all the while
A flash polarizes her figure
Against the canvas
Of the crowd
Peripherially
I steal her without her
Even knowing that there's only us
There's just us now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home