Monday, November 21, 2005

The Blind Date

Okay, the blind date. Well, it's not technically a blind date, since I have met this person. But it's still a blind date in my mind, as you will see as you read on. This is what that is all about.
My friend Josh and I got together Sunday to work on our film ideas. We decided to go to a restaurant where his wife Carrie is a hostess. I can't even remember the name of the place but it's pretty high-end. Anyway, we got us a table near the bar, Carrie bought us drinks (Josh and Carrie are connoisseurs and I sometimes partake in the experience). With pen and paper in hand, we proceeded to knock out a script for our short comedy.
Carrie then asked me what I thought of one of the girls who worked with her, who was sitting at the bar talking to co-workers. I was very into the script and gave an off-handed opinion. I thought she was okay -- honestly I didn't really take too much notice because Josh and I were on a roll and we were cracking ourselves up, almost crying at our own unique brand of humor (so unique that sometimes I think we are the only ones who think we are funny). The next thing I know, Carrie is telling me that this girl finds me interesting and she (Carrie) wants me to go talk to her. I was in a good mood, laughing and all, and I really didn't take anything Carrie was saying seriously. So I said, hey we are working on the script, she can come talk to me if she wants to talk.
Carrie, dejected (but with a sharp determination) returns to the bar. Josh and I return to our script.
After we get our rough draft down, we tell Carrie we are going to Wal-Mart and then back to the apartment so Josh can type our script. As we pull into the parking lot at Wal-Mart, Josh gets a cell phone call from Carrie, and I can tell they are talking about me -- apparently some of her co-workers are planning to get together after work and she wants us to come back so she can hook me up with this girl. I begin to realize Carrie was for real. Josh then tells me Carrie wants to talk to me.As we are walking through Wal-mart I try to tell Carrie that I am not ready for a relationship right now, but she says that is crap and I will be alone for the rest of my life and I need to go out with someone. I just sigh and I really had to laugh. The whole thing was sort of funny. But I couldn't get Carrie to let it go. She cares too much about my well-being. Thank you Carrie, I appreciate it dear! :-) But I do not want to go out with someone I don't know.
Then she says, "Here, she wants to talk to you." And before I can interject I find myself talking to this girl. Seems ol' Carrie has already arranged a double-date for the four of us for next weekend. What can I do? What can I say? I am talking to this person and I don't want to be rude. She was nice. She was upbeat and all. But I didn't even know her name, besides knowing nothing about her. That is why I have never gone on a blind date and I hoped I never would.So we have this little shindig set for Sunday. And I have no clue how to get out of it. I really do not want to do this. I would just not go, but Josh and I had plans to do some filming on our comedy and if I don't go, it will be a lost opportunity. But then I will have a hard time getting away before Carrie shows up with this girl. Because Carrie is bound and determined to set me up with someone.... *SIGH* Carrie, Carrie. God bless ya, girl! :-) I can't help but love ya!
And I also can't get the idea out of the back of my mind that it's a pity date for me. Carrie probably told her that I haven't been out with anyone since my divorce and ... well, I don't want to be a pity date!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wil said...

Well, I don't know -- I enjoy my freedoms way too much now, being single again and all. There are other considerations here as well, but that is the biggest one.
Thanks for your comment. :-)

Wil

1:40 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

Well, let me clarify something in that last comment -- what I meant was the thing about not being ready, that is the biggest consideration. The freedom thing is part of it too but not the biggest part.

Wil

1:41 PM  
Blogger NDV said...

How did it go?

1:48 PM  
Blogger Wil said...

Refer to the latest post, Weekend Update. Plus you will get a kick out of what Josh and me did Sunday filming at the Summit. It was pretty funny.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home