Monday, November 28, 2005

In Other News...

... I got the new Rush DVD set, R30 -- a live DVD celebrating the 30th anniversary of Rush as a rock band. Amazing run for these guys. With the exception of a different drummer on the first album, Rush have been the same three guys since 1974 (when the first album was released). Geddy Lee (vocals, bass, keyboards), Alex Lifeson (guitars, backing vocals, synth pedals) and Neil Peart (drums and multi-percussion) are a great band indeed. Of course, they are unique -- especially Geddy Lee's vocals. You either love them or hate them.
This DVD has a concert they did in Germany last summer. A bonus disc was included with vintage footage of the band playing live and in music videos from the late 70s, plus rare interviews. It also features the Juno Awards (the Canadian version of the Grammys -- yes, Rush are Canadian) when Rush was inducted into the Canadian Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Rush released a live DVD two years ago, Rush In Rio (that was their first ever) and I have to say that as far as the concert goes, I like Rush In Rio better. But the R30 is cool because it includes live songs not performed in Rio. Also, the bundles of extras on disc two make R30 worth every penny. Speaking of which, Rush is known for giving fans value for money -- the two disc set sold at Target for only $25. Not bad when most single DVDs run for around $20.
"Tom Sawyer", "Limelight", "Working Man", "The Spirit Of Radio"....classic tracks by a classic band!
I also got Season 5 of Seinfeld. I have Seasons 1 - 4 already. Season 6 is out as well but I am getting that for Christmas. :-)
Another show I like and have on DVD is Everybody Loves Raymond. A lot of people don't like this show, but I think it is really funny. I could really relate to that show, especially when I was married. It's funny -- Ray was my point of connection before; now it's Robert! (Yes, my life is sad). At any rate, the 5th season comes out next week. Can't wait to get it.
The only other show I have on DVD is Monty Python's Flying Circus. I have 1/2 of Season 1, all of Season 2 and 1/2 of Season 3. So if anyone wants to get me the missing halves of those seasons, or maybe Season 4... You know where to find me. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Wil said...

You wouldnt like them, LOL, and I hate to say that cause I love Rush and I wish that more people knew about them. They get no respect cause they are so...weird. LOL I mean, they aren't so weird anymore. But they used to be! I like their weirdness.
And they change their sound alot which I think is cool, so they don't sound the same as they used to. I guess you could say it this way --
1974-1976: A sort of harder Led Zeppelinesque sound with odd time changes.

1977-1978: Very prog-ish, sort of Yes meets Led Zeppelin on speed.

1980-1981: More straight forward classic rock with a quirky edge.

1982-1985: Edgy synthesizer rock.

1987-1991: Jazz fusion/progressive pop.

1993-now: More straight on hard rock, kinda getting back the roots but with more maturity and not so angular.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home